Wednesday, May 09, 2007

You'll miss it when they're older...

As I was changing my oldest child's diaper at church (this would have been 4 years ago, when she was 8m old) I happened to say how much I really dislike diaper changing. A well meaning lady promptly offered me this advise, "Enjoy it now, you'll miss it when she's older." I can honestly say, I do not miss changing her diaper!
I was thinking about this yesterday while I was cleaning Abrianna's snot for the 10th time that day. I thought, someone might tell me I'll miss this when she's older. I do not agree!

I do not believe I'll ever miss:
changing diapers, cleaning noses, potty training (and all that goes with it), washing them down after a good messy dinner, hearing the screems of a sibling fight, listening to the whine of a toddler not getting thier way, spilled drinks on the floor (to either stain carpet or make the hard floor sticky), dealing with diaper rash, or yeast, being spit up on by a formula drinking baby (that stuff is the worst), cleaning food off the table... again, cleaning the car out... again, washing hair full of dinner, hearing the door slam 50 times a day while kids are in and out of the house, wiping your potty going boy's bum and buttoning his pants (this just now happened), the endless washing of my hands, filling drink cups over and over x5, being asked the same question over and over even after you've given the answer... etc.

However there are things I will miss:
The sweet breath of a breast feed baby, the stretch that newborns have, kissing my newborns chin, hearing the fist coo's from your baby, seeing the first smile from your baby, watching your baby play with toys that dangle over head, the first kisses your toddler tries to give you, hugs from our Abrianna (just thinking of it makes me smile), playing with my hair that Caleb does (a weird habit he has), listening to the girls play sweetly with each other, watching Caleb play with the girls in a very boy way (crash, boom, explode!), reading books with all 5 on and around my lap, my one year old trying to knock me down as she sees the older ones wrestle with daddy, clean baby bodies getting rubbed with lotion, brushing my girls hair after a bath and no tangles, getting my girls ready for church in dresses and bows, Caleb telling me what he likes, young minds trying to figure out how things work, watching young ones learn to count/abc's/colors/shapes and light up when they answer your questions correctly, Caleb asking, "you wanta watcha mome?," children spontaneously saying, "I love you," saying the Lord's Prayer and listing to them say it by memory.
These among many others I will miss!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Parenting is so scary to me. It sounds like such a job. I probably will never be able to have kids due to my illness. You sound like a great and awesome mom. Kudos to you!

Sincerely,

Andrew

 

Post a Comment

<< Home