Saturday, March 01, 2008

Leviticus... a discussion book for a 5yr old?

I've been reading the bible to my children before bed.
This started as a way to get them in bed and asleep in a timely manner. My reading what I wanted and them seeing me and not talking... it wasn't meant to be a discussion starter.

Hannah has been getting a lot out of reading God's Word and is even asking me questions. There have been some priceless discussions with her and I want to share some of those with you. These discussions have all come from Leviticus. Yeah. Quite possibly one of the most boring and repetitive books of the bible. (Some chapters are interesting, but by and large, boring. Especially for a child, you might think...)

The word Hell come up. Hannah asked me what that meant. A little intimidating I must admit, to explain Hell to a little child and what Heaven is in contrast. This is the first time a topic like this had come up and I didn't want to say the wrong thing... So I told her very factually that Hell was a place for the people that do not believe in God. Everyone dies and we have two choices that decide where we go when we die. We can choose to believe in God and love Him with all our heart, or we can choose to not believe. If we choose to believe then God has Heaven reserved for us and we can live with Him forever and all the other people that believe. If we choose not to believe then we go to Hell. Hell is a place with fire and mean people that want to hurt you. Heaven is a beautiful place that has a... big big house with lots and lots of room, a big big table with lots and lots of food, a big big yard where we can play football... (if you know the song sing along.) ...it's a big big house, it's my Father's house. (I felt the need to lighten the mood.)
We had fun talking and singing. The end result... I was praying for her to say she believed in Jesus and wanted to have Him in her heart... she told me she wanted to "stay here," as in, here on earth, in her home, with her friends and family...
We had fun!
(I wonder if she thinks she has "accepted Jesus?" We talk about Him so much and she says prayers. Only God knows her heart.)

Last night Hannah asked, "Who is God's wife?" I told her God does not have a wife and she said, "He has a son." Yes, He does have a Son... but He does not have a wife. How do you explain that to a girl that I have been very deliberate in teaching you have to be married before you have children? This was a hard one. (Why do they ask such hard and deep questions?) I told her that there is God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. The three parts of God are the one God that we worship and they, together, have always been. We call God the Father b/c he is the head over all. We call God the Son b/c he came to earth and was birthed by Mary, and we call God the Spirit b/c He lives in us when we accept Jesus as our Lord. Together they have always been.
I don't think Hannah got it. I'll be reading her this book more often.

After a little while she asked, "Why does God separate people?" Again, deep questions for such a little girl. I explained that there were people that were bad and didn't believe in God and God wanted his people that he brought out of slavery in Egypt to be separate from them. To be set apart and Holy. Man... I feel like I should be preparing to teach a theological class with my 5yr old girl. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, or that I don't like it. I just really didn't expect to get such questions with the aim to get my kids to sleep.

The best discussion we have had was the first one that started all this talking at night (the opposite of what my aim was, but a good thing) was about artistic ability.
In reading Leviticus I could tell that Hannah was listening. I didn't want to skim over the opportunity that looked so inviting... I guess you could say I brought all the questions on upon myself. In reading this passage, the word artistic came up and so I went with it. I applied it to her. Hannah is a very good artist (in our opinion) and not only loves to draw but likes to give her drawing to others. I told Hannah that God is artistic in the way He designed the temple and the clothings for Aaron and He likes art. God likes Hannah's art. I asked Hannah if she knew of anything she could do with her God given gift of drawing. She told me this, "I could draw pictures and send them to little girls that maybe don't have crayons to draw, and I could make them happy. Or I could send them to some kids that may be sick. I could make them happy."
YOU BET! I am getting right on that! Calling local organizations and finding out who would benefit from my little girl sending pictures. I'll give an update when we start this.

I may have been after getting my kids to bed. And with any other book that may have been the outcome. But I choose the Bible, the living word of God, and He had other plans.

1 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Heidi Stone said...

What a blessing that your daughter is interested in all those aspects of theology at such a young age! That book looks excellent and a great way to explain the Trinity to children!

I also wanted to let you know that I responded to your Q about CVS in my post. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home